Who does not like rich, creamy, cheesy pasta? My kids love pasta in white/Alfredo sauce but most of the store-bought Alfredo sauce are highly processed. They not only contain high quantity of cheese but also have some controversial ingredients that are best to be avoided.
The good news is that it is very easy to make Alfredo sauce at home but what makes this recipe supercool is a secret vegetable that I add to make the sauce creamy and healthy – CAULIFLOWER!! Cauliflower is a versatile vegetable which can be substituted for rice and flour in many recipes. It is a member of the cruciferous family and an excellent source of antioxidants with many health benefits including:
- Reduce Cancer Risk
- Decreases Risk for Heart Disease and Brain Disorders
- Improves Digestion
- Promotes Detoxification
- Aids in Weight Loss
- Helps Balance Hormones
- Preserves Eye Health
I am sure you are now convinced to cook more with this wonderful vegetable.
Here is the recipe for Healthy Cheesy-Breezy Pasta. My kids love the taste so it is both kids and mom approved!
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Cook time: 15 Minutes
Total Time: 25 Minutes
- 2 cups of grated cauliflower
- 1 small white onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup milk (more to achieve desired consistency)
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon black pepper (more to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon of thyme powder
- ¼ teaspoon of oregano powder
- Salt to taste
- Pasta (I used GoGo Organic Red and White Quinoa Macaroni available at Costco, cooked as per instructions)
- Heat butter in a pan
- Chop onions and shallow fry until they get translucent and golden brown
- Add the garlic paste
- Add the grated cauliflower
- Cook on medium/low heat till it is soft and mushy
- Let it cool
- Add milk, cheese, spices and the cauliflower mixture in a blender
- Blend till it is smooth and creamy
- Mix the cooked pasta and the sauce in the pan
- Simmer for a couple of minutes
Serve hot. ENJOY!
- You can add more/less milk depending on the consistency you prefer
- The sauce can be made in bulk and stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days
- Olive oil can be used in place of butter if needed
Try it and let me know how you like it.