Mom – I am hungry” is my favorite childhood memory because it always followed by some home cooked or delicious healthy snack. As a child, I remember I was constantly hungry because of my growing body needs and I would only eat a little at each meal. I still eat a small meal every 2-3 hours.
I did not realize that I was a “grazer” until recently I read about it in my Health Coach course by Dr. Sears Wellness Institute. Dr. Sears recommends this approach of eating rather than “gorging”, which is eating 3 big meals with long gaps in between.
According to Dr. Sears “Grazers” have:
- lower blood cholesterol
- less PPL (high blood levels of artery-clogging fats after eating)
- less after-meal vasoconstriction (less artery narrowing)
- more stable blood sugar and blood insulin levels
- lower levels of stress hormones
- leaner bodies
Now the challenge comes – with our busy schedule we don’t have time to plan 3 meals, let alone 6-7 throughout the day. Here are some simple ideas for “grazing”:
- Handful of nuts of your choice
- Greek Yogurt
- A slice of Cheese
- Fruits like Banana, apples or bowl of blueberries
- Boiled Egg
If you are planning to try “grazing” – keep in mind that “portion control” is the key.
Remember Dr. Sears Rule of 2s:
- Eat twice as often.
- Eat half as much.
- Chew twice as long.
- Take twice the time to dine
Have a Blessed Day!!
Here are some additional ideas for the healthy snacks to eat at work: